The Perfect Steak
Follow our guide to cooking the perfect steak and you will be able to cook any cut to your preference – rare, medium or well done.
Great quality steak does not need much adding to it, just make sure you rest it after cooking and avoid moving it around too much in the pan.
- Steak (in the cut of your choice) Shop
There are a few points to remember if you want to cook the perfect steak. Here are our top tips for great steak:
Choose a good quality steak. No matter the cut of beef you are after, you should buy beef that has been reared and butchered to a high standard.
Bring your steak to room temperature before cooking.
Cold meat will seize up and become tough when it is placed in the pan.
Do not move the steak around in the pan too much, otherwise you will not get a nice crisp crust.
Rest. It is important to rest your steak after cooking to allow the juices to distribute through the meat, making it tender and juicy.
1. Pre-heat your griddle/frying pan on a very high heat. While your pan is heating, lightly season your steak with salt and pepper and a small drizzle of oil. Never oil the pan as this will cause the pan to smoke.
2. The pan should now be hot. To check the heat of the pan, place a drop of water on the hot pan, if it bounces around then the pan is hot enough to start.
3. Every person is different, some people prefer a well-done steak and others prefer it rare.
Below is a guide for a two-centimetre-thick Rump or Sirloin Steak at any preference:
For rare: About 1½ minutes on each side
For medium-rare: About 2 minutes on each side
For medium: About 2½ minutes on each side
For well done: About 3 minutes on each side
4. Once your steak is done place it on a plate or chopping block, cover with foil and allow it to rest for five minutes. Serve with a great sauce (peppercorn is our favourite), a sharply dressed green salad and chips.
A wide range of premium meats.
From beef to lamb, chicken to sausage and something a little different, we’re sure you’ll discover something that takes your fancy.
Interested in placing an order over the phone or have questions regarding our products? No problem, contact our friendly team today.